back to top ↑

Any person residing in the Gail Borden Public Library District is eligible for a library card.

Parents will determine when their children are ready for their own cards. A parent’s or legal guardian’s signature is required for all children up to age eighteen.

Patrons may register for reciprocal borrowing if they have a valid card from their home library.

back to top ↑

The purpose of this policy is to encourage the establishment and improvement of community library services, to share resources in a positive and equitable basis to be consistent with State law requiring non-residents to pay a fee for library service equivalent to that of resident taxpayers, and to comply with regulations of the Illinois State Library and the Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS). This fee will be determined by using the most recent property tax bill. This would ensure that the property owner will pay the same amount as would be paid if the property were in the GBPLD service area.

Non–residents whose property is not contiguous to the Gail Borden Public Library District (GBPLD) may purchase a non-resident fee card for library borrowing privileges through the GBPLD.

Those non-residents whose property is contiguous to the GBPLD must annex to the library district in order to receive library service.

Reciprocal Borrowing

Reciprocal borrowing privileges are extended by the GBPLD to all library card holders from a local public library in Illinois where the card holder is a resident and library taxpayer. Certain restrictions may apply as determined by the GBPLD and under RAILS guidelines.

back to top ↑

The purpose of this policy is to encourage the establishment and improvement of community and library services to residents owning property within the district, but who reside outside the district boundaries.

  1. Personal Cards: The nonresident owner or leaseholder must present either the most recent tax bill (dated within the last twelve months) for the property or a copy of the commercial lease. If the applicant has not yet received a tax bill due to the recent purchase of the property, the person must provide documentation to prove ownership of the property and its address within the Gail Borden Public Library District (deed, bill of sale, title, etc.)
  2. All NRPO cards have FULL borrowing privileges. All NRPO cards are valid for one year and may be renewed.

back to top ↑

The purpose of this policy is to encourage the establishment and improvement of community and library services to residents renting property outside the Gail Borden Public Library district boundaries and who are not taxed for public library service from a participating public library.

The library charges 15% of the monthly rent as the annual non-resident fee. All non-resident cards for renters shall have full borrowing privileges.

Applicants must present a current lease agreement (dated within the last twelve months), current receipt (dated within the last month) or canceled rent check (dated within the last month).

back to top ↑

Any student whose principal residence is not within a public library service area and who is eligible to receive free or reduced price lunches under the National School Lunch Program, as determined by Income Eligibility Guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) or the Community Eligible Provision of the USDA National School Lunch Program is eligible for a free non-resident library card.

When applying for a non-resident card, the qualifying student must present to the library documentation from the school or school district that indicates his/her eligibility for free or reduced-price lunches.

All non-resident cards for kids shall have full borrowing privileges.

back to top ↑

Veterans with service-connected disabilities of at least 70% who are exempt from paying property taxes on their primary residence, an unmarried surviving spouse of a veteran who has previously qualified for this exemption prior to his//her death, or an unmarried surviving spouse of a service member killed in the line of duty shall be eligible to receive a free non-resident library card.

Qualifying veterans or surviving spouses must present documentation from the county where they reside that indicates their residence is exempt from paying property taxes.

All non-resident cards for veterans shall have full borrowing privileges.

back to top ↑

All teachers who work at a school that is in the Gail Borden Library District are eligible for a classroom collection card (even if they already have a personal library card here). If the school is in another library's district, the teacher should contact that public library for teacher card policy. Example: Heritage School in Streamwood is a U-46 school but in the Popular Creek Library District.

Classroom collection cards have the following limits:
60 item limit on card
Renewal 2 times

Teacher must have a personal ID with home address and a dated documentation for the current school year (ex: paystub, class list, letter from principal)

back to top ↑

A “Business” card is a limited-use card and may be issued to a business or non-profit organization located within our library district. This card provides access to the Gail Borden Public Library’s online databases and circulating collections.

To receive a card, the owner/manager must present 4 items:

  • A personal photo ID
  • A written request on business/organization letterhead listing up to three employees authorized for library card access
  • A property tax bill/lease or utility bill
  • A copy of your Illinois business license

The business owner/manager will be responsible for all fees incurred by each associated cardholder. If the Business owner/manager is unable to locate their business license; he or she may visit the Information Desk for assistance in printing a copy.

*City of Elgin employees can receive cards. Each department is a separate entity and will be allowed three cardholders. The department head is responsible for writing the letter for any fees incurred. The city departments will only need the letter, not a tax bill or business license.