- A geothermal well system that responds to the earth’s constant temperature of approximately 55 degrees will save energy when heating or cooling the building.
- The high albedo roof is coated in reflective materials that lower absorption of solar energy, reduce surface temperatures and decrease heat transfer into the building.
- Maximum natural light and sensor controlled artificial lighting to minimize electric light usage.
- Extended exterior overhangs provide sunscreens to control natural light.
- Drought-resistant native plants and grasses as well as rainwater management will eliminate the need to irrigate the gardens surrounding the building.
- Use of low-emitting materials will improve indoor air quality.
- Friendly neighbor parking lot lighting focuses light downward.
The Rakow Branch achieved LEED* Gold Certification
*Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design