Books and More

Gail Borden Public Library celebrated its 140th Anniversary on March 19th, 2014. It is one of the oldest libraries in Illinois, organized after the passage of a law by the state legislature. This law, enacted on March 7, 1872, authorized tax-supported libraries and provided for their management through an elected board of trustees. 


After several years in rented properties, the library began to look about for additional space. They were aided in this effort by brothers Alfred and Samuel Church, who donated the former Scofield house on Spring Street. As stepsons of Gail Borden, they specified that the library be known as the Gail Borden Public Library from that time onward.

Spring ST bldg.jpg SpringStChildrensarea.jpg

Learn more about Gail Borden Public Library's history by browsing Books and More: A History of the Gail Borden Public Library. Our thanks to author E. C. (Mike) Alft who gave permission for the digitization of his book.

To see more images and text-searchable documents about Elgin Area history, please visit the Illinois Digital Archives